Wednesday 15 September 2010

Welcome to the World Freya!

On Sunday 5th September, 15 days before her due date Freya went from being a bump to a baby!

Let me tell you the story about her grande entrance! I had braxton hicks (practice contractions) on and off for the last couple of months of my pregnancy so I was used to the feeling but on Thursday 2nd September I woke up with a feeling that Freya's arrival would be soon!

Not wanting to cause any unnecessary panic I casually told my brother's girlfriend Naomi as we walked around Toys R Us that I had been getting more painful and regular braxton hicks, my desire to not cause panic didn't work, I think Naomi was ready to lay me on my back in the pushchair isle and start mopping my brow!

These pains continued but I carried on as usual, Graham had a night out planned on Friday but I asked if he would mind not going 'just in case', so we stayed in and I was kept awake with the niggley irregular and bearable period pain type feelings.

My best friends Karen and Annie managed to persuade Graham and I to go to Reading Pride on Saturday, rather than sitting and waiting we got ready and met them for a fun packed day of catching up with lots of people I hadn't seen in a while, dancing and going on a scary ghost ride! The contractions continued throughout the day, Karen and Annie were a bit cheeky for laughing at me and taking photo's as I breathed through each pain - I'll have to think of my payback method for them telling me to stop being dramatic as they didn't believe I was in the early stages of labour!

Naomi had bought me a plaster cast kit to make an impression of my tummy as a keep sake which I thought was such a lovely idea, that evening Graham and Karen helped make the ever lasting cast of my baby Freya bump, we finished doing that by 10pm and at midnight I started timing the much more regular contractions - that was just so exciting, I knew that things were getting a move on, Graham and I had a big kiss and cuddle giddy with anticipation.



As the contractions increased to a level 7 of my pain threshold I went for a long soak in the bath, the place I always retreat to in pain or just to relax. At about 3am I called the delivery suite to let them know I was in labour and the midwife advised that I take a couple of paracetamol and get some sleep rather than sit up all night timing contractions, you have to be in a pattern of contracting for 1 minute every 3 minutes before going to hospital. at 5am my contractions were lasting for 45 seconds every 4 minutes (and yes, I had stayed up to time them!) I asked Graham to call them, I couldn't stay at home any longer, again the lady said to wait a while longer but I soon convinced them I needed to be seen by someone.

So we grabbed the labour bag and got in the car, laying in the back was really soothing and I calmed down. We were soon at the Royal Berks Hospital, as the midwife examined me I was surprised to learn my cervix was already 4-5cms dilated - bonus I thought I'm halfway there!

I was soon moved into the room with the birthing pool, it was nice and calming with low lighting and aromatherapy oils scenting the room. I had sent Graham home to pick up my medical notes, I can't believe that I had forgotten to pack them and the car seat! By the time he returned I was being told how to use the gas and air, it's a good distraction but by no means did it help relieve the pain.



At about 8am I stupidly asked how much longer does the midwife think it will be, she said by stats it would be about 4pm, hmmm, ever wish you didn't ask a question! An hour later however I was examined again to discover I was already 9cms dilated - hoorah - only 1cm to go!!

Needing change of scenery I got out of the pool and went into a delivery room where my fab Graham massaged my back and gave me wonderful words of encouragement oh and ensured the music was always playing, I remember listening to Band of Horses and Sigur Ros and in the euphoric moment that Freya arrived Kings of Leon were playing - now that's good timing girl!!



I will spare you most of the details of 3rd stage labour but I will tell you the moment I recall which made it all worth it. Although the contractions were painful I didn't feel the need for pain relief, that's until the pushing part but by then it was too late and no matter how much I shouted at the midwife for denying me it I had to do this without.

As it got quite intense I really didn't think I could go on and kept saying 'I can't do this, I really can't do it anymore'... Well that's not the right attitude is it! I looked up and I saw Graham give me a little smile and heard him say we are closer to meeting Freya, and in a quick turn of emotions I said 'yes, I can, I can do this cant I' and as I did both Graham and I cried, I gave it my best and within 10 minutes Freya was born back to back! After 12 hours of established labour at 12:05 our precious girl arrived! We did it!

I wasn't handed Freya straight away as planned but things didn't go entirely to plan at the end, Freya was delivered with the cord around her neck, leg and arm. the next 6 minutes seemed to last a lifetime as Graham hit the crash button and our little girl was resuscitated in front of us, as I always say I have great faith in medical staff, they were looking after our little angel, the worst part was feeling helpless but they did a fab job and after a short while Freya was in Grahams arms and then I had my cuddles!

Would I do it again? Oh yes - 10 times over if I could but for the time being I have the most adorable daughter to love, protect and cherish.



1 comment:

  1. A fantastic read, I look forward to being introduced at some point x

    ReplyDelete